Therefore, reducing housing discrimination, promoting diverse inclusive communities, and affirmatively furthering fair housing (AFFH) and equal opportunity have been and remain a priority for Waterford Township.
Please click the survey button and complete the short survey to help Waterford Township improve its fair housing efforts.
About the Program
Beginning in 1974, the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program was created as a federal funding tool through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to address certain community development objectives. The CDBG program provides annual grants on a formula basis to local government and states.
CPD also works through the Township’s Economic Development Corporation and the Building Authority (when active) to create additional economic assistance partnerships.
The Charter Township of Waterford is a recipient of the CDBG entitlement program (municipalities with populations of at least 50,000), which allocates annual grants for activities intended to provide decent housing, a suitable living environment, and opportunities to expand economic opportunities for low- and moderate-income persons.
CDBG Consolidated Plan
HUD requires CDBG entitlement communities to develop and submit a 5-year plan outlining the activities to be funded with CDBG funds. Not less than 70% of CDBG funds must be used for activities that benefit low- and moderate-income persons. In addition, each activity must meet 1 of the following national objectives for the program:
- Benefit low- and moderate-income persons
- Prevent or eliminate slums or blight
- Address community development needs having a particular urgency because existing conditions pose a serious and immediate threat to the health or welfare of the community for which other funding is not available
This planning process is focused on providing information required by HUD as conditions of receiving grant funds. This 5-year plan is then used as the basis for an annual action plan of CDBG-funded projects that is approved by the Township Board and submitted to HUD each year.
Documents & Resources
- Draft 2023 - 2024 Annual Action Plan (PDF)
- Draft 2022-2023 CAPER
- 2021-2022 Consolidated Annual Performance Evaluation Report (PDF): The Township must submit an annual performance report to HUD.
- Public Hearing Notice - Con Plan amendments related to CDBG-CV funds
- CDBG Citizen Participation Plan with CDBG-CV AMENDMENTS adopted June 22, 2020
- Waterford Township 2016-2020 Con Plan 2020-1 Substantial Amendment summary - DRAFT
- Waterford Township 2016-2020 Con Plan 2020-2 (CDBG-CV3) Substantial Amendment summary - DRAFT (PDF)
- 2019 Annual Action Plan
Jeffrey M. Polkowski, AICP
Director of Development Services
Scott Alef, MURP
Community Development Grant Coordinator
Community Planning & Zoning Division
5200 Civic Center Drive
Waterford, MI 48329
Memorial Day to Labor Day 7:30am - 4:30pm
Labor Day to Memorial Day 8:00am - 5:00pm