Permits & Applications

Applying for a Building Permit

Building permits must be submitted in person or by mail, not by email or BSA online. Permit fees are based on the cost of the project. 

  • Residential:
    • Bond required: $100 for decks, accessory structures, alterations or additions; $400 for new construction.
    • Two copies of a site plan based on a survey, drawn to scale, are required for decks, accessory structures, additions and new construction. 
    • Two copies of construction plans.
  • Commercial: 
    • Bond required: $600 for alterations or additions; $1,000 for new construction.
    • Any site plan modification must be approved by Planning & Zoning Division prior to applying for Building permit.
    • Two copies and digital copy of constructions plans, each page sealed by an architect or engineer.

Applying for Plumbing, Electrical or Mechanical Permits

Electrical, plumbing and mechanical permits can be applied for using BSA Online. Fees for residential additions and alterations and all commercial are itemized and listed on each application. Fees for residential new construction are based on total square footage of the home.


A permit is required for all permanent signs. See the Zoning Ordinance for signage requirements.


Our inspectors are generally in the office during the first hour of the day only. They are in the field during the remainder of the day and are unavailable by phone.  If you have questions for the inspectors, please call the main office at 248-674-6238 during their office hours:

  • General hours:  Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
  • Summer hours:  Monday thru Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.

For More Information

Clerical staff are in the office all day to assist you with questions relating to permit applications and to schedule inspections. You can contact our office by phone at 248-674-6238 or by email.
Waterford Township uses BSA for permitting and inspections. Please visit BSA Online to create your account and after doing so, call the Development Services office to link your email account to access permitting and scheduling. 

Please visit BSA Online to apply for permits - Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing only and to schedule inspections.

 Application Description
Building Permit Application (PDF)
Building Permit applications for any structural changes, modifications or additions made to an existing building, all new construction, in-ground or above-ground pools, decks, and all sheds over 200 square feet. Also used for Sign and Demolition permits.
Electrical Permit Application (PDF)
Electrical Permit application for electrical work at existing structures or new construction. Required for re-connect when replacing air conditioners and/or furnaces. Site plan required for generators.
Mechanical Permit Application (PDF)
Mechanical Permit applications for all new construction, gas piping, installing new or replacement of furnaces, air conditioners, humidifiers, de-humidifiers, air cleaners or any other modification of an existing heating. Site plan required for new air conditioner installation.
Plumbing Permit Application (PDF)Plumbing Permit applications for all new construction, additions to an existing plumbing system, installation of an irrigation system, sprinkler meters, installation or replacement of water heaters or water softeners, or any other modifications of an existing plumbing system.
Engineering Plan Review (PDF)
Engineering Plan review request, complete as indicated during Site Plan Review.
Temporary Use Permit (PDF)
Temporary Use Permit for special events & food trucks.
Temporary Structure Permit (PDF)
Temporary Structure Permit for residential or commercial use of dumpsters, storage pods, portable restrooms, tents, etc. for up to 90 days. Site plan drawing required.
Residential Rental Registration Form (PDF)
The Rental Certification Ordinance requires the owners of all residential rental properties to register those properties with the Township. Any buildings or apartment complexes that are currently available for, or being used as, residential rental units are required to submit the registration form.
Fill Permit Application (PDF)
Fill Permits applications are used when the property owner wishes to raise the grade of a property more than 1 foot. This review will ensure that adjacent properties are not adversely affected by the change in grade.
Contractor Registration Form (PDF)Notarized form required when Contractor will not be present at time of registration.