Election Information

2020 Election Dates

Presidential Primary, Tuesday, March 10, 2020 - Closed Primary
August Primary, Tuesday, August 4, 2020  - Open Primary
November General Tuesday, November 3, 2020

​Closed Presidential Primary

Michigan Election Law has designated the Presidential Primary as a closed primary; this is the only closed primary election. 

Voters in a closed primary must state the party primary they wish to participate in before receiving a ballot.  The ballot given to voters only shows the party that corresponds to their choice.

Voters in an open primary receive a ballot with a column listing each qualified party's candidates.  Voters then decide which party primary they wish to participate in by voting only in the column of their party choice while in the privacy of the voting station.  Voting for candidates in more than a single party's column will void the entire partisan ballot.

Permanent Absent Voter's List

With the recent passage of Proposal 3 in the November 2018 General Election, registered voters can now request an absentee ballot without providing a reason.  Under Michigan election law, you are eligible to be placed on the Permanent Absent Voter List.

Benefits of being on the Permanent Absent Voter List:
  • You will automatically receive an absent voter ballot application for every election.
  • If you choose to return the application, we will send you a ballot as soon as they arrive in our office.
  • You will avoid potentially long lines at the polls.
To be included on the Permanent Absent Voter's List contact the Clerk's office at 248-674-6266. This will enable the Clerk's office to mail you an application for an absent voter's ballot before each election. Remember, you must complete an application before we are able to mail your ballot.

Application for Election Worker

The Waterford Clerk's Office is accepting applications for Poll Workers. Fill out an Election Inspector Application (PDF).  Election workers pay starts at $175.00 plus additional pay for training.

Absent Voter Ballot Applications

An absent voter's ballot application must be completed before an absent voter's ballot may be issued.  Contact the Clerk's office via e-mail or call 248-674-6266 to request an absent voter's ballot application.

The persons who may be in lawful possession of a signed absentee ballot request are limited to 1) the applicant
2) a member of the applicant’s immediate family
3) a person residing in the applicant’s household
4) a person whose job normally includes the handling of mail (but only during the course of his or her employment)
5) a registered elector asked to handle the application by the applicant
6) an authorized election official. 

A violation is a misdemeanor.

A registered elector who returns an AV ballot application at the request of the applicant must sign the Certificate of Authorized Registered Elector Returning Absentee Ballot Application portion of the application.

Ballot Marking Instructions


Click here for Updated Ballot Marking Instructions PDF.  

Returning Absent Voter's Ballot

The persons who may return an absentee ballot are limited to:

1) the voter
2) a member of the voter’s immediate family who has been asked to return the ballot
3) a person residing in the voter’s household who has been asked to return the ballot
4) a person whose job normally includes the handling of mail (but only during the course of his or her employment)
5) an authorized election official.

A violation is a felony.

Vacation Alert

Please note that election mail will not be forwarded. If you will be away from your Michigan address contact the Clerk's office (248-674-6266 or e-mail) to have an application mailed directly to you.